Thursday, July 29, 2010

either way

"At this point, I think she could get in the Marines before I could." Smed shook his head about Megan.

He and Zeke were alone now. The girls had gone back to Caitlin's room and Zeke said Owen was out of town so Smed could use his bed.

"Yeah, Megan can kick-ass." Zeke had to agree.

"I guess neither us are fighters, huh?" Smed let sly.

"Guess not." Zeke almost smiled. He got Smed a cold bottle of water from the fridge under the sink. It was way after mid-night. Smed wasn't sure if they should mention the past. What good would it really do? "Look, I was wondering if I'd ever see you, again."

"Well, I really hadn't planned on it, you know." Smed shrugged.

"I don't have a brother." Zeke told him. "And everytime I brought it up with my-" He stopped then as if mom was a bad word. "Look, she would keep saying there was no reason to. But I wanted to. I did want to know you."

Smed just nodded not sure he could add anything to that.

"I used to have Chemistry with Caitlin." Smed let the cold water quinch his thirst then. Thankful, it wasn't too horrible in the parking lot, and they were all safe back at the dorm now. Megan had scared Derrick, who ran off in the dark.

"No kidding." Zeke seemed to want to talk about her. Maybe it was best they stuck with the present instead of the past.

"Yeah, she's really smart." Smed told him.

"Pretty much."

"You like her, don't you?" Smed asked.

"Yeah." Zeke smiled. It was obvious with Smed then, that it was much more than that. "I just didn't know if she'd broken up with Derrick or not."

"Well, she has now." Smed smiled back as if Zeke had to be happy about that.

Zeke sat down on his bed and Smed sat down across from him on Owen's bed.

"Well, you and Megan, you two seem tight." Zeke nodded.

"I dunno about that. Guess I'll do til the next best thing comes along." He didn't mean to be so pessimistic, but he couldn't let himself feel it was a sure thing, either.

"Why would you say that? She's crazy about you." Zeke sipped his water. "She can't even go to the restroom without you." He reminded him.

"Yeah well, I'm just something for the summer. Come fall, she'll get a real life, and I'll be history."

"You might be wrong." Zeke didn't agree with him. "Anyway, I hope I see you again."

"Yeah, I'd like that." Smed told him. "I don't think I'll mention this to my brother."

"I don't think my Mom needs to know, either." It was settled. They were family, after all, yet from very different families.

6 comments:

Cafe Fashionista said...

It's nice to see that they're bonding; even if it's under somewhat...strange circumstances. :)

ellie said...

I hope they can build a good relationship out of this.

Aury said...

I wonder where their relationship is going....

emily said...

intriguing story and i like your writing style!

holly O said...

good, they are bonding.

Berlin said...

What a toughie.

A bucket of stars,
Berlin