Monday, August 23, 2010

loose ends

"Did you marry her, or something?"

"No." Smed sighed into his cell. He called the place where he and Megan used to work to tell the owner what was going on. "Look, I need to talk to Mike or Joe. Megan and I have....quit. We've moved."

"Shit, Smed, are you whipped or what? I knew It. I just did. You changed, man. You totally have." He could hear the laughter in Jared's voice.

"Look, just give the phone to Mike, or Joe, will you?" Smed winced. He looked back at June who was in the kitchen making pancakes. He tried to smile, but he heard an ear full of obscenities from Mike. Smed had expected it. Perhaps that's why he'd prolonged the agony. He tried his best to apologize. He told him how he didn't want to give up the job at the sandwich place, but he needed to move on.

"You were a good worker, kid. You even made her look good." Mike finally told him. Smed almost smiled. Maybe Mike would put in a good word for him, after all. Finally he got off the phone. He went to the plate of pancakes that June had for him.

"See, it wasn't that bad." June smiled.

Smed took a bite of the blueberry pancakes. Yeah, maybe he could take it easy now.

"Do you want me to mow your lawn?" He then offered.

"Oh, that's so sweet, but the lawn mower doesn't even work." June shrugged.

"I'll take a look at it." Smed knew he had to keep busy. He'd let Megan worry about the housing for a bit. Of course, she was still asleep.

10 comments:

ori said...

I liked the start of this.

Cafe Fashionista said...

So many questions are whirling through my mind now. :)

ivy said...

Smed, he has no idea what a charmer he really is.

ellie said...

Smed's a sweetie. Maybe he'll stay right there. hehehee....

Meg said...

Smed seems like a cool guy.

Josie said...

Oh, Smed. Be mine.
xo Josie
http://winksmilestyle.blogspot.com

Berlin said...

What a good person =)

Have a fantastic day!
Berlin

Sara Lynn said...

I feel bad because so many people are giving him crap! I hope it works out for them, he seems like he is finally okay with it.

molly said...

I loved Josie's line.

axel said...

I loved the way this started.