Thursday, September 2, 2010

a clear view

There was the old house. Not much different from June and Nora's. Except bigger. June went up and knocked on the door. Nothing. They waited.

"Maybe she hasn't gotten here yet." June shrugged.

Smed looked over and saw a rose bush covered in toilet paper on the corner. That was strange, he thought, but he stood at the bottom of the steps, patiently waiting for someone.

Finally a small thin girl with stringy blond hair came to the door. She was red faced. Something was the matter. She couldn't say a thing.

"You're Sammi, aren't you?" June asked then told her she lived down the street.

She nodded. June saw the place had been trashed. Completely. Even walls had been drawn on with markers.

"What happened?" June and Smed came in.

She started to sob again. It was something about Mia having a party and trashing the place with her friends. "My Mom's gonna kill me." She choked on more tears.

"But you didn't do anything, it was your sister." Smed told her as he stared at the mess wondering where to start.

"My step-sister." Sammi clarified.

June then told her how Smed and his brother were looking for a place to live.

"We'll help you clean up the place, no matter what." He told her. She might have someone else in mind to move into the house.

"OK." She could barely sputter. "I'm glad I got here before my Mom did. I-I'd never hear the end of it." She hugged herself.

"Is Mia really gone?" Smed wondered if Mia had it in for her step-sister or what.

Sammi nodded. "Its my great Aunt's place. Mom, let Mia live here when she went to college. She-she just rented out the rooms to people, and-" She crumbled into tears then.

"Its gonna be OK." Smed gave her a pat on the back and before he knew it, she was hugging him, leaving a wet spot on his T-shirt where she was crying. Smed looked at June. He wanted to let go, but she wouldn't let him.

10 comments:

lucy and sarah said...

This could be sticky business for Smed.

Holly said...

what a surprise. hmmmm..I wonder what else might surprise us.

Cafe Fashionista said...

I don't know if I trust June. :/

ellie said...

I have to wonder if he really knows what a good guy he is.

molly said...

Oh Lord, its like he might have a new girl on his hands.

Josie said...

I'm just so obsessed with Smed. What a doll.
xo Josie
http://winksmilestyle.blogspot.com

Sara Lynn said...

That was sweet of him, but it looks like he has another girl on his hands.

DFF said...

Aw, Smed's the sweetest!

molly said...

I can't wait for the next one.

Romany said...

Aww, poor little one. What a terrible thing to do - trash the house then leave the mess for your little sister. What a bitch. Haha.
Romany
xx