Wednesday, January 19, 2011

around and around

"Huh," Smed noticed the odd box on the dresser in their room. Sure it was a mess. It was like hurricane Megan had blew through. There were piles of clothes behind the bed. A trail of socks lead to nowhere. True, they did not always pick up. And he was waiting to see how long it could go until Megan said anything.

He dropped his book bag and yawned. He came closer to the box. His eyes widen as he stared at it and the words finally sank it.

A pregnancy test.

He nibbled his upper lip and picked it up. He studied the instruction. He just couldn't quite phantom Megan taking this test. He winced then as he wondered just what was she not telling him.

"Missing something?" He rattled the box when she came in.

"That-"

"What? What are you not telling me, huh?" He glared at her. "More little secrets I'm not suppose to worry about." Smed couldn't help but be steamed. Where had the trust gone.

"I got that a long time ago." She told him.

"How long?" He wanted to know.

"Just give me that thing! I don't even need it." She scolded him as she grabbed for it, but he wouldn't give it back.

"Tell me, what are you doing with this?" He pressed for answers. He was certain she was going to use it for something, evidently. But he really wasn't thinking about Cho or anyone for that matter.

"All right." But she turned from him with her hands on her hips. She twisted back as if she'd just say it. Finally. "I thought about having a kid so I could...you know, get college money."

"What?" Smed winced. "Are you serious?"

She looked at the wall, the ceiling, everywhere but him.

"I didn't do it." She yelped.

"At least not yet." He couldn't help but be cold. He slightly shook his head. He didn't know what to say. He was shocked. Completely ready to say something he knew he shouldn't say. But it was true, she was so selfish. Just selfish. And if he stayed a moment longer, he'd tell her how selfish he thought she was so he left.

6 comments:

ellie said...

Just when you least expect it.

Cafe Fashionista said...

I wish Smed would give her a chance to explain. :/

molly said...

I'm sure he's hurt. Maybe he's not as grownup as I thought he was.

cait said...

Its the oddest things that can upset someone.

lucy and sarah said...

I do want to see them work it out.

Winnie said...

Oh no, that's terrible. I hate that some people actually go through with things like that. I'm glad she didn't do it at the time...