Tuesday, February 22, 2011

how long has it been?

"God, the nights seem to last forever." Caitlin was so tired. She'd been restless all night. She didn't want to count how many times she'd gone to the bathroom. "The days seem longer. The weeks are taking forever now." She sat up, not wanting to move.

"Weeks? What do you mean?" Zeke looked at her, who was already up, dressed and had brought her coffee. "You haven't been pregnant that long. Its only been a couple of days."

"Really?" She took the cup of hot coffee and stared at it. The smell was so foreign. She made a face and put it on the nightstand.

"I take it, you really aren't used to the idea and -" Zeke sounded as if he were rambling to her.

"What?" She hugged herself. Yet, she didn't want anything touching her.

"I dunno." He hesitated as if it was hanging in the air, and she'd have to pull it out of him to say.

"We have to see my parents." She told him.

"We? We do?" He put his hands in his back pockets and just stared at her as if he were stumped.

"Well, yeah." She smiled.

"Yeah." He smiled back as if he were her partner and they'd do sketch comedy all the way there. Now she was happy. Then she wasn't.

"What were you talking about?" She was serious.

"What were you talking about?" He sat down by her.

She  suddenly felt an emotional wreck. But she sucked in a breath and grabbed the coffee. Initially, she gagged, but she drank the bitter drink as if she were strong enough to do this even if her stomach felt a tad weak.

"I thought, you were wanting to go back to the clinic and -" He shrugged.

She got teary eyed, immediately. She shook her head, no.

"So...we'll go on the train." He looked at her. She nodded. "And, do you think we'll be staying at your parents? For the weekend?"

"I dunno." She shrugged. A part of her felt they had to go. She had to face them. She'd been avoiding them since she got here. "I'm the worst daughter ever. How can I be someone's mother?"

"You'll think of something." Zeke held her hand. She looked had his fine fingers holding her tiny fingers. She smiled calmly then, yet a thrill seized her. They'd made something, together.

7 comments:

cady said...

I hope it works out. These situations are so tricky.

Cafe Fashionista said...

I think that they can get through this; at least they have each other. :)

cait said...

that was sweet at the end there.

Through My Eyes said...

The first comment where the nights seem to last forever really struck me, that has basically been my whole weekend, except that was with every day. I hope that maybe they can get through this, but I am pretty sure that they can, even without me speck of hope (:

E.L. said...

I think they might be on the same page now.

Josie said...

I'm so glad they have each other!
xo Josie
http://winksmilestyle.blogspot.com

ivyoaks said...

Hopefully, they are on the right track.