Saturday, October 29, 2011

on the way out

Sammi felt triumph at her first Karate class. She knew she could do this. It was so energizing and well, it helped to have Dung as a teacher.

Always smiling and graceful. Yet he was her teacher, and he talked to the class as his students. She was his student. And she knew she had to respect that. Only a part of her wanted to know him. She'd seen him with Megan. But it didn't seem serious.

Of course, she was a little nervous around him. But she'd decided she'd get up the nerve and ask him out, after class.

"But, I don't date my students." He informed her with, yet again, a quick smile.

"Oh." It caught Sammi, off guard. She blushed, thinking she should quit the class now. She quickly made her exit with her gear. Before, she knew it she'd dropped her bag and clothes went everywhere. Why did she think she needed to take so many clothes with her when she never changed? She was still in her karate outfit.

But someone came to her rescue. She sat there in the floor devastated.

"So what's up?" He was in white too, but it wasn't Dung.

She shook her head. "You wouldn't want to know."

"Try me?" His smile was friendly as he packed her bag up quickly as he could without eyeing anything.

"If you must know," she sulked. "I asked someone out and he wouldn't go out with me." She looked away, out of sorts.

"Well, I'll go out with you." He grinned then.

Sammi looked at him blankly as he pulled her back to her feet.

"I'm Lyle and who might I be taking out?" He waited for an answer.

"Uh," She cleared her throat, knowing she'd think of a way to tell him off. "Sammi. It's Sammi."

"Just Sammi?" He winced. "Not Sam or Samantha?"

Sammi shook her head, no.

"Where do you want to go?" He looked at her as if she must have a plan.

"I-I don't even know you." She hugged herself.

"Well, that's why we go out. How well, did you know this other guy?" Lyle asked.

"He's my teacher." She shrugged.

"I work here. I go to college. Never been arrested. I've got a sister who moved to Germany, and a golden retriever named Rusty. Anything else?" He looked at her as if he might need to whip out some credentials.

"All right. We'll go out..I guess." Sammi had never been put on the spot quite like this before.

7 comments:

Cafe Fashionista said...

I like Lyle's forwardness! :)

ellie said...

I like that his dog is named Rusty.

lucy and sarah said...

I like him already!

ivy's closet said...

What an interesting surprise.

mazzy may said...

Hahaaaa..

when least expected!

Stephanie said...

He has quite the personality!

Eternally yours,
Stephanie

She is Sara said...

I like him already!