Friday, January 13, 2012

in a different universe

"Am I all right?" Alfie smiled all over. "Of course, I'm all right." He was on his cell with Natalie at Paul's house. They'd survived their first week together. Perhaps filled with more video games than Paul's mother would ever realize, but this kid was sweet. He was quiet and all, but he seemed to like the games Alfie played with him.

He gave this kid a real work out. Everything from think fast on multiplication while playing basketball in the cold, to getting his handwriting exercises in.

"I dunno why you never have any faith in me." Alfie was possibly full of himself, but he hadn't felt this sure of himself, in a long time. He'd put Paul to bed. All was good. He just might make himself an impressive sandwich before Paul's Mom got home.

But as luck would have it, when he turned around, he saw Paul standing there by the fridge.

"Oh, hey, gotta go." He clicked off. "Whats the matter, Buddy?"

"I miss Meggie." Paul whimpered.

"Meggie?" Alfie had to think who he meant. "I thought the Alf, here was your friend?" Alfie got on his knees then and put his arm around him.

"I like you, Alf, but..but why did she leave? Did she die?" Paul's big eyes stared into Alfie's.

"No." Now Alfie felt terrible that no one explained it to him. "Little dude, she got hitched..I mean, married."

"But I was gonna marry her." He bit his bottom lip.

"She's way old, you know, you just have to look out for younger Meggies, you know, closer to your age." Alfie nodded.

Paul sucked in a breath.

"Look, I'm gonna make a call, find her number for you, and we'll call her. So you can talk to her." Alfie said. He could see Paul liked the idea.

"Yeap, I'm your man, Paully, truly I am." He was going to make him forget this Megan yet.

10 comments:

ellie said...

I'm glad Alfie is getting along with Paul.

Ben and Molly said...

Good, that he's going to contact Megan.

Cafe Fashionista said...

Happiness and friendship abound! :)

lucy and sarah said...

I'm like'n Alfie.

ivy's closet said...

Maybe its Paul who brings out the best in people.

molly said...

Glad Alfie is working out with Paul.

mazzy may said...

Oh, Alfie. I'm glad he's good with Paul.

FWB said...

So sweet. I hope Alfie stays this way.

Mimi said...

working things out with friends is one of the best feelings in the world. :)

<3, Mimi
http://whatmimiwrites.blogspot.com/

Alysha said...

Love this, its so sweet. :)I love Alfie