Tuesday, January 3, 2012

looking in looking out

"So what would I have to do?" Alfie was curious enough. He guessed he did need a job. But babysitting? "I'm not really a sitter." Alfie shrugged his skinny limbs.

"You have any little brothers or sisters?" Smed wanted to know.

"Yeah, I gotta a little sister." He felt bad that he hadn't talked to her in a while. Of course, she was a freshman in high school now. "All right. Yeah, I had to watch her, when my folks would go out."

"You know CPR?" Smed quizzed.

"What?" Alfie winced.

"Never mind." Smed shook his head. "Sorry, I asked."

"No, seriously, I think I could do this gig, man." He grinned. "Kids love me."

"Do they?" Smed didn't look as if he believed him.

"I went to clown school. Almost. It was more of a workshop. But just as good." Alfie sounded as if that was certification enough.

"Look, he doesn't need a clown." Smed was serious. "Paul needs someone who's gonna listen to him, read to him. Make sure he gets homework done. Goes to bed on time."

"Where's the fun in that?" Alfie chuckled.

"Yeah, I thought you'd say that." Smed sighed.

"OK, look, how about I give it a week? And maybe by then his mom can find him a real Nanny." Alfie thought he could give it a week. He wasn't sure he wanted a permanent job. He was moving to New York City some day, anyhow.

"We'll have to see what his mother thinks. But you have to be serious, Alfie." Smed informed him as Alfie went back to his chocolate milk.

"I am serious." But his chocolate milk mustache wasn't helping.

7 comments:

lucy and sarah said...

I dunno about Alfie.

ivy's closet said...

This should be interesting.

ellie said...

Hopefully, Alfie can help.

Cafe Fashionista said...

We'll see where this leads. :/

Stephanie said...

Interesting!

Sara said...

Haha, I can't help but think that Alfie is cute. I hope he can help this kid though, sounds like he needs it.

Josie said...

I'm just so iffy about Alfie...
xo Josie
www.winksmilestyle.com