Sunday, January 29, 2012

the winter of discontent

"Maybe..maybe Zeke and I need to see other people." Caitlin finally said it. She didn't care if Megan was listening or not. She really didn't want to hear about Megan and Derrick's studio in Manhattan. It was like listening to someone go on and on about winning the lottery. She was at her wits end with Zeke. She was beginning to think there was only one thing that was really tying them together now. And it was the loss of something, not the future.

"Are you listening to yourself!" Megan evidently was listening. "How can you say that? You wouldn't. I've never met anyone who..who adores you..like he does. So what? If...if he slipped up. He's not perfect, but he's true to you. He loves you. Deal with it. You guys have been through so much. You can't quit now."

"I want to believe you. I do. Its just. I dunno." Tears swelled up in Caitlin's eyes, but it wasn't what Zeke said, but remembering how different their life would have been if there was a baby, but there wasn't. "I feel like I've ruined everything..for him. I have." All these emotions were so raw inside her. What if she did give him a fresh start? "Maybe, maybe I should have." She didn't know what she would have done. Just be on her own?

"OK, listen to me. Don't..don't be rash about this. Think about it. Sleep on it. Don't do this to Zeke. He loves you. He'd do anything for you. You know that. You know, he's right for you. We both know that." Megan told her.

"I feel so awful, you know. Making him wait. Making him..think..its gonna happen. It might not happen, Meg." Even Caitlin thought she might sound suicidal, as she listened to herself. "I miss you. I really do. I wish you were here." As if that would make this all better. What was it that she wanted? What could she do to make this right?

8 comments:

ivy's closet said...

Oh ..no..it this end of Caitlin & Zeke?

lucy and sarah said...

Such troubled times, indeed.

ellie said...

They just may need a break.

molly said...

Times are definitely changing.

Josie said...

Ooooh, I feel so bad for them!
xo Josie
www.winksmilestyle.com

Cafe Fashionista said...

Yikes! This is definitely not a good time. :/

W. said...

Megan is doing her best to be supportive, though.

Sara said...

Oh no! Caitlin needs her friend :(