Friday, February 24, 2012

now you know

Noel drove off like a race car driver. He almost ran into a diaper truck that came out of nowhere when he made a left turn. Needless to say, he really didn't have the right of way, but it would never occur to him that he was at fault.

When he got back to the house, no one was there. He fled upstairs and made a dash to put some undies and his toothbrush in a back pack.

"What are you doing?" He'd left his bedroom door open, and there was Caitlin.

"I-I needed a few things." He was in a hurry.

"For Randi?" She guessed.

"Actually, for me." He faked a smile. "Its not my baby. Its not." He'd decided. The more he told himself this lie, the more he liked it. Believed it. Therefore, it had to be true. Thus, he didn't have to think of all the ugly stuff that came with having a baby. Baby fat. Insurance rates. Ugly scars. And well..the stress. He just couldn't handle it. He needed to get away. Some time ..for himself. Yes, that's what he needed. A vacation. Alone.

"What do you mean?" Caitlin asked as if that was the worst news yet. "She told you? The baby's not yours?"

Noel just nodded. "I don't want to talk about it." He smashed more of his things in the backpack. Still, he didn't know where he'd go. Exactly. He just couldn't be here. Maybe he was losing it. He didn't know. But he had to get out of here.

"OK, I understand." She nodded.

"God, Caity, I'm really..really sorry. I-I always wished..you know..it had been us. Instead of, you know, what I got myself into with..with Randi." Noel let spill. "I mean, I know you have Zeke, and I get that. And..and we were just friends, you know. And I always wanted to keep it that way. I really mess things up." He sighed. "I seriously do. So you know, its a good thing we..we never hooked up." He smiled at her as if he wished they could runaway together. Right now. Start a new life somewhere, where no one knew them. "I just wanted to say. You're really hot ..in a nerdy kind of way. And, well, you know, if..if I get through this. I hope I find someone, just like you."

He didn't want to wait and hear what Caitlin had to say. He made a run for the car.

7 comments:

Cafe Fashionista said...

I'm glad he finally spilled his feelings - she needed to know. :)

Josie said...

I wonder how she'll respond!
xo Josie
www.winksmilestyle.com

ellie said...

I do wonder what Caitlin thinks of him now.

ivy's closet said...

Oh ..wow, he's just being weird.

Sara said...

I am glad he came clean at least! He will feel better about it in the end.

lucy and sarah said...

Noel is something.

Alysha said...

I wonder where he's going off to. A real vacation, perhaps. Poor thing, he must be hurting. Hope he gets better.