Friday, April 6, 2012

A bit of madness

Smed knew now, he'd been wrong. Wrong to tell Caitlin all the things he'd always dared, or put off. Yet, he didn't feel very strong now.

"I should..I should have made my feelings..clear..back in high school." He didn't know how to say it. "I should have done something in high school. And I didn't."

"Why didn't you?" Caitlin wanted to know now.

"I just..I just didn't try hard enough." He unwound her fingers around him. "Who knows, it would have been..well, over by now." He was certain of it. "Now, well..it would be, just another rebound, wouldn't it?" He slightly winced. "You're gonna be OK, on your own. And if you just think about it, its what you want, too. You need to have some fun. Maybe with lots of boyfriends." He smiled then. "I mean, I'm not saying you should sleep around, that kind of thing. I mean, you know...date."

He hugged himself tightly, as he watched her sad face. He knew she didn't get it.

"Did you tell any of this to Zeke?" She wanted to know.

He shook his head, no.

"You, you make it ..so difficult..for me... to even..talk to him...now." She was blaming him for all their miscommunication. Caitlin and Zeke.

"Zeke would give you all the time you wanted." Smed was staying out of it. He knew he'd done too much, already.

"What if you broke up with Natalie?" Caitlin shrugged.

"Is that what you want?" He was shocked she'd even ask.

She said nothing, but glared at him expecting an answer.

"Its still not happening with us." Smed made it sound like a promise, yet he could see Caitlin had other ideas. There was a tap on his door. He opened it. He'd never had this much company in his room. Ever.

"Why are you down here?" It was Zeke's sister Sheila.

"What are you doing here?" Smed's eyes lit. She was his sister too, but he didn't know her, quite as well.

"Duh!" She looked at him point blank. "Its Spring Break."

"Really?" He couldn't stay mad at her. "I wish you would have called. How did you even get here? Is your Mom here?"

"I took a bus." She held up her suitcase.

"And she was all right with that?" He helped her back up the stairs with her suitcase to the kitchen. Immediately, he went to see if their was a soda for her.

"Not exactly." She sighed. "She thinks I'm with my best friend Kelly, but we had a falling out at the last minute, so I decided to take the money I could be spending in Florida, and came here."

"Wow." Smed grinned. "Just Wow." His little sister had saved him from something with Caitlin. He was sure of it, but just how was he going to entertain a 15 year old for the rest of the week. He got on his cell with Zeke. Smed really needed him now.

6 comments:

Sara said...

Saved by the 15 year old! I hope he can relax and have some fun with her, looks like he needs it!

ellie said...

Wow, Caitlin put him on the spot. I'm glad Sheila showed up.

ivy's closet said...

Thank goodness Sheila showed up. But what's gonna happen with those 2?

lucy and sarah said...

I think its good that he doesn't want to get with Caitlin. Although, I can see why she's mad at him too.

Josie said...

Phew, saved by the bell!
xo Josie
www.winksmilestyle.com

Cafe Fashionista said...

Thank goodness for small favors (or arrivals)! :)