Friday, May 4, 2012

in the end

"Where did Hattie go?" Alex wanted to know. It was so quiet around here these days now. He suspected it was those two who he heard arguing most of the time now.

"I dunno. And I don't care." Alfie looked pretty indifferent about her now. He was his usual laid back self.

"What do you mean?" Alex thought Alfie loved Hattie. But he seemed different, lately. Alex couldn't figure it out. Really, it was no concern of his.

They were folding towels in the laundry room. It was probably the most boring chore, but he noticed a few of Hattie's undies mixed in.

"You know, here today, gone tomorrow. She's hard to keep track of, after while. She won't show up, unless she needs me. That's the way it works with Hattie." Alfie told him. "And frankly, I've really had enough. I can't do this anymore. I really can't." He shrugged.

Alfie told him how he'd given up a lot for her in the past. It didn't seem to matter. It was perhaps a love-hate sort of thing that was getting the best of him. It seemed as if he'd resigned himself now.

"But what if we got her in a clinic of some kind. She could de-tox, you know. There are new drugs out there, that might help." Alex remained optimistic that Hattie could get better.

"Trust me, I've had a lot of hope, from time to time. But nothing ever really works with her. And I can't deal with it anymore. Just don't get involved, Alex. Don't." Alfie promised him he'd regret it.

No comments: