Saturday, May 12, 2012

just one more bad thing

"You'll see, it'll be OK." Randi made it sound like a promise to Natalie while she was a way. Of course, Natalie got a ride from Smed to the airport. Randi and her parents were there to see her off. Natalie kept her smile on, but inside she was a sob story.

How could Smed be so cold? Well, it didn't seem so. Not at the moment. He'd held her hand. Hugged her as if he'd be the first to miss her. But when she kissed him good-bye, there was nothing open about that. It was as if this treasure was locked and would be distant from everyone. Or so she hoped.  She guessed.

"I just don't know how it'll work." Natalie told Randi in the bathroom before she left on this big trip.

"He just wants you to focus on you. OK?" Randi didn't read to much into it. "Who knows who you might meet at that school."

Natalie did her best to be happy. She had her flute which was necessary for work. It was funny, she'd never worked so hard at playing the flute since middle school. And suddenly, it was a skill they were looking for, in Paris, of all places.

Still she was in tears, kissing Smed good-bye, yet he didn't kiss her back. He might as well have been a manican.

Soon she was on her way to wait to board her airplane. It felt quite desolate up  the carpet ramp. This was the last road to some place different. It could be the start of something new. Her cell rang. It was Smed.

"I want you to have an amazing trip. But there is something I can't keep from you any longer." Natalie's face tensed. "I kissed Caitlin, not long ago. But I'm not seeing her. Its just.."

"What are you talking about?" Natalie winced hard as if this was not what she needed to hear while waiting to board her plane.

"I dunno. I thought you should know. Maybe..maybe.."

"What? This gives me a free pass to kiss who ever I want?" Natalie was furious with him.

"You needed to know. OK. I dunno what you'll do. But I'm hoping you'll want to, well, forget about me, for a little while. At least." His words were so cold.

Now, she couldn't stop thinking about him, at all.

6 comments:

Cafe Fashionista said...

I'm glad he admitted his mistake. :/

ellie said...

So sad for her, but I'm glad he told her, too.

ivy's closet said...

This would definitely be such a difficult time for her. I hope this won't ruin her trip.

lucy and sarah said...

Hopefully, Natalie will be OK.

FWB said...

What a terrible beginning for Natalie..on her trip to Paris.

mazzy may said...

So bitter sweet. What a way to start your trip.