Sunday, September 23, 2012

just friends

"I still don't know what you see in him." Alex shrugged. He'd brought Hattie some things she might need as in groceries. She was waiting with hot tea and some tea cookies.

It was a little pleasure that Hattie provided about once a week. But those times seemed to be fewer these days because of one person. Timo.

"Oh, lets not get into it, with him." She smiled as she poured tea into her new found tea set that she's purchased at Good Will. It was very whimsical with broad flowers, like something from the 60's. He knew she was nostalgic.

"No, we..we should most definitely talk about him..before..before ...you get in too deep." Alex winced with concern. He waited for her to sit on the cushion of the floor. Thus the tea party could begin.

"I'm not in too deep." Her smile said otherwise, he thought. "Believe me, I think I'd know. OK." It seemed her smile was keeping her from knowing the real truth.

"I dunno." Alex shook his head. "Just remember...you..you deserve so much better. You, you deserve someone who is..is going to treat you like a princess."

Now she sighed with a laugh as she bit in a cookie.

"I don't think I actually want to be anyone's princess." She assured him.

"Are you sure..you know..what..what you are doing with him?" Maybe Alex made it sound like a warning. "Logan can't stand him. I'm sorry, but..I just wanted to let you know."

"Timo..he's..misunderstood. I'm just his friend, OK. I dunno..if he's really ever had one." She sighed as she talked about Megan and Derrick befriending him. "And..and he has Izzy."

"You..you haven't..you wouldn't sleep with Timo, would you?" Alex knew he shouldn't have asked. "You're like a little sister to me. And..I'm sorry..I know its none of my business..its just..I worry. So does Logan."

He could see her blushing.

"Just don't worry. Its not like that." She shook her head.

"OK," Alex smiled openly. "That's a relief. You don't know what a relief that is to hear." He sipped his tea as he sat their cross legged. "Just tell me..you are being careful."

Hattie nodded as she dipped a cookie in her hot tea.

"Gavin moved in." Alex said he didn't have much. He was upstairs in Dung's room.

"Oh, really." Hattie's impish grin spread across her face as she sipped her honey milked tea. "I wonder if Caitlin will notice?"

"Caitlin?" Alex winced. "What about her??"

"Don't you think they'd be cute together." Hattie shrugged, as if she might be a matchmaker.

"I dunno. You know..she and Dung-"

"But I don't think that was love. Caitlin's worried she might never fall in love, again." Hattie told him.

"How do you know that?" Alex grinned wondering if Hattie was a fortune teller in a previous life. There was something very gypsy like about her with her bohemian peasant tops and long flowy skirts.

"I get this feeling." She sighed as if it were very old news he should have known. She went back to her cookies and tea.

"Do you even know her?" Alex winced with a grin. He took a cookie and decided he'd dip his in his tea, too.

She smiled as she took another bite into her tea dipped cookie.

"No. I don't know her. But, I've been around enough. I know she's depressed." Hattie told him.

"Do you think she knows..she's depressed?" Alex wondered what else she'd observed at the house.

"She hides it well. She just needs to peel the layers back. Let her self..really be vulnerable. But I don't know if she can yet. She doesn't want to get hurt, again." Hattie nursed her tea in thought.

"What about you?" Alex wondered how damaged Hattie really was. She was definitely alone at the boarding house. "I wish you'd move in. I'd feel better. You know, having you there. Instead of here."

"I like it here." She grinned. "I'm really OK, Alex. I am."

7 comments:

ellie said...

Hattie is insightful.

ivy's closet said...

Oh, Hattie might know all.

lucy and sarah said...

I do hope Hattie knows what she is doing with Timo.

W. said...

Hattie is great to have in the story.

Chris Ed said...

Cool that Alex and Hattie are having tea/talk time. I think she should be careful with Timo.

Josie said...

Hattie is SO smart.
xo Josie
www.winksmilestyle.com

Cafe Fashionista said...

Hattie definitely has a great brain - she knows everything! :)