Saturday, December 22, 2012

a night like tonight

"You, don't have to get me anything," Hattie said as she sat back with Timo on the couch in the livingroom at Sammi's house. They were sitting in the dark watching the bright Christmas lights on the tree. Of course, the snow outside made it radiant on the street, but it was warm and cozy inside. She looked over at Izzy who was lounging in the floor guarding the presents under the tree.

"Well, I know you, got me something." Timo pointed to the present wrapped up in newspaper under the tree. "Of course, I got you something. Its just..your present to me is bigger than..than the present I got you."

"Maybe I'm only fooling you. Teasing you." She shrugged. "What would really make me happy..." She looked away as she pulled her red cardigan closer around her.

"What?" Timo asked as he looked at her.

"If..if you'd call your mother." She looked at back at him.

His sigh was heavy.

"I dunno..if..if I can do that." He shook his head.

"You know, the one who raised you. She..she deserves a phone call." She told him. He was silent.

"Why? Why are you, doing this to me?" He squinted hard as if maybe she was trying to hurt him.

"Because, she loves you. She cares about you. You have to let her know, you care too. Because I know you, do." She took his hand.

"How? How do you know that?" He looked at her.

"I just do." Her smile was quaint. Then her smile parted into a grin. "I think you want to tell her about someone."

Timo almost smiled. "All right, I-I want to tell her, about you." His voice cracked.

"Then do it." She got up. "I'll make us some hot chocolate, the old fashioned way, real whole milk and cocoa. You call her. Really talk to her." Her eyes were serious. She really did have faith in him. She didn't know why, but she did. Hattie went to the kitchen and left Timo with his cell phone.

8 comments:

Cafe Fashionista said...

Timo's lucky to have Hattie in his life. :)

Sara Gerard said...

Timo jas gotten so much better once he met Hattie! I hope the call goes well :)

ellie said...

I hope he warms up to his Mom.

Chris Ed said...

Really sweet situation, hot chocolate ist the best! Great that Hattie is there for Timo.

caitlin and megan said...

Hopefully, Timo is growing up.

lucy and sarah said...

I believe he is.

mazzy may said...

This was sweet.

W. said...

Oh, so love them together.