Tuesday, January 1, 2013

a heart to heart

They'd danced. Drank to a new year with sparkling grape juice. Still the laughter was sublime, but Hattie saw how down Logan was in the kitchen. He'd had a laugh or two with Alex, still something was off.

"What's going on?" Hattie wanted to know.

"I guess, we're moving." Logan looked so serious. "At first, Alex wanted me to stay, until..until he found us a place. You know, stick it out this next semester. But..but I couldn't." He shook his head.

"This is..so exciting." Hattie couldn't help but smile.

"I know. But..but..I..I keep having these..these horrible dreams, that..that we'll find this strange place, and no one will like us." He looked sad.

"That's just a dream. You don't know it'll come true." She put her arm around him. "What ..what if I write you letters. Tell you every thing going on, here."

"I'd like that." He almost smiled. He was so quiet as if this might be the end and not the beginning. "What about you and Timo? Are you going to move in?"

"Maybe." She shrugged. Hattie supposed she'd been on the outside, looking in, long enough. "I could be on my own. If I liked." She nodded, but she never really believed it. "I mean, I guess its been that way for an awful long time now. Really." She hated to get misty-eyed about it. "Boystown, is really the only home, I know." She bit her bottom lip. "I haven't seen my mom since fifth grade. She didn't want me. All those years, I didn't want her, either. But the problem was, I was an awful lot like her. I didn't mean to be. If..if I hadn't found you and Alex, I might ..still ..be ..that way."

She hadn't meant to lose it now, with Logan. She slightly gasped on her tears.

"I was lost, but now I'm found." She sighed. "And I really will miss you and Alex, but I'm excited for you two."

"I just don't know..if..if you'll be ..all right..with Timo." Logan cleared his throat as if he might choke up.

"We'll be fine." Hattie nodded. She was definitely looking forward to the new year.

5 comments:

ellie said...

Logan is such a realist. Sometimes, I do wonder if Hattie has thought it completely through about Timo.

lucy and sarah said...

I hope Hattie is right about Timo.

ivy's closet said...

I hope Logan and Alex have a great new year.

Cafe Fashionista said...

I hope Hattie is right. :/

Sara Gerard said...

I think it will be an amazing year for them!