Friday, February 8, 2013

heart to heart

"What were you doing?" She smiled. "Wait? Don't tell me." Hattie could only imagine. After all, Alex said he bumped his head on the coffee table.

She was with Timo and his Mom. His mother was here and took her on a huge shopping trip. Timo was loaded down with all sorts of bags. Some of it was maternity clothes, but a lot of it were things, she never imagined having, like her own iPad.

Hattie noted she needed to take the phone call alone. She slipped away into the kitchen.

"I can't believe all this is happening," Hattie said smiling from ear to ear. It felt as if his mother was adopting her. Maybe it was too good to be true. Yet, she knew Timo didn't want to be left alone with his mother. "Timo and Gavin's mom is like..I dunno..my fairy godmother." She sighed with glee but seriously, she wondered if she was just being too silly about the whole ordeal. Yet, it felt great that Glenda wanted to help.

"How are you feeling?" Alex wanted to know.

"So much better. I mean, its great. So far. Really. I don't mind being pregnant." Hattie assured him. "I was a little scared at first. You know, could I possibly remember to eat the right kind of foods and you know, take care of myself."

"Of course, you can do all those things. You've been taking care of yourself." Alex reminded her.

"I know. I miss you guys. Tell Logan I miss his grilled peanut-butter sandwiches." She grinned. It was true a part of her was so happy, yet she felt sad they weren't here.

Alex told her about Logan applying for a job.

"Well, I'm sending him positive thoughts. I hope he gets it. I really do." She really hoped they came to visit in the summer, or even the fall. "You know, you two are like family, don't you?" Suddenly, she teared up, full of emotion. Perhaps, it was the hormonal part of being pregnant.

"Yeah, I know completely what you mean." Alex told her. "You're like a little sister I always wanted. I really really want the best for you, Hattie."

He was quiet then and she thought he might be crying.

"Promise me, you'll call ..if..if anything goes wrong. If he does anything. If ..if you feel afraid, or anything...you'll call. Promise?" His words were full of emotion. She knew he meant every word.

"I promise. But I'm OK. I really am." Hattie sighed, as she tried to keep smiling. She didn't want him worrying about her.

6 comments:

Cafe Fashionista said...

Poor Hattie! :)

ellie said...

Things are definitely changing for Hattie.

Sara Gerard said...

Hattie will be a great mom, she is always worrying about others.

lucy and sarah said...

I'm glad they touched based. Wow, things are looking up for Hattie.

ivy's closet said...

Hopefully, all is well for her...and Timo, too.

Chris Ed said...

I feel for Hattie! I like her!