Wednesday, June 26, 2013

if you want

Anybody could see Timo was hurt. Caitlin wasn't sure what was going on, but he was out back smoking a cigarette by the pool.

"I thought you, were trying to quit." Caitlin winced. The sun shined so bright. She needed shades and it was so hot. She thought she might be coming down with a headache just being out here.

"I am." He sounded frustrated, but he took another puff before he stomped it out. "Don't tell Hattie."

"I won't have too. She'll know." Caitlin glared at him as she crossed her arms. "What's the matter?"

He was in a huff. He reached in his back pocket of his jeans and pulled out the envelope.

"Dad, finally decides to give me this." Timo gritted ever so ominous.

"What is it?" She noticed the German postage. He handed it over and she examined the writing.

"Its from my Mom." He wiped the back of his hand across his wet nosed. She realized then he'd been crying.

"Oh." It startled Caitlin at first, as she held the envelope. This was a letter from his biological mother.

"I have no idea what it says." He squinted as if he was about to have another round of tears.

"I could..maybe translate it. If..you want."

"You know German?" Timo looked at her as if she were keeping secrets from him.

"Enough. My grandmother was from Germany. My mother knew German and well, she taught me a little. Nothing like the way her mother talked to her, though. Usually, she just said sweet things to me in German, but all my friends thought she was mad at me. Anyway, I took German in school. It was easy. I'm sure I could figure out the letter. If you want." Caitlin shrugged.

"Well, of course, I want you too." Timo nursed his bottom lip then as if there was something important he needed to know. Now.

4 comments:

ellie said...

Maybe Caitlin is warming up to Timo.

ivy said...

I'm glad Caitlin wants to help.

Cafe Fashionista said...

Caitlin is full of surprises! :)

Anonymous said...

So glad Caitlin can help