Monday, November 29, 2021

Keep on keeping on

 


"I'm not mad at you," Rico said when Mario wanted to know why he was moving. "It's just time. I'll regret it...if I don't."

"Well, you could have told me..earlier." Mario sighed wishing he knew what his little brother really wanted. "You also quit the skating rink? What's going on?"

"I got on at the grocery store," he nodded. "Seriously, I didn't want to be the center of attention." Of course, most were barely middle schoolers who were fond of him. 

"What about Mona?" Mario wanted to know while Rico was getting his things together back at Mario's.

"What about her?" Rico looked at him as if there was nothing to say. She hadn't spoken to him since the week before Thanksgiving. He was sure of it now, she went back to that abusive guy she'd been dating. He didn't understand it. He didn't want to. He didn't even know if he could wait for her to change her mind about this dude. It was like that guy had superpowers of some kind.

"I'm sorry if.." Mario started.

"Don't be sorry, I'm sure I needed to hear it," Rico nodded. "You need your space too." He told him he liked sharing a room with him. "But we are little too grownup, you know."

"Grown-up?" Mario winced with a laugh. He did have a nice smile.

"I would hate to bother your love life," he told him.

"I bet," Mario said he doubted there would be one, anytime soon. "Hell, you'll probably be married with a kid and I'll be this confirmed bachelor for life." 

Rico chuckled and gave his brother a slap on the back. "Be careful, what you wish for, brother."

Rico hoped this was the right move. He did want to know his Dad more. And as much as he wanted Mona in his life, he knew he'd have to wait for that too. But he wasn't going to wait for a call, he needed to go on with his life.

13 comments:

  1. What a great chapter! Thanks for sharing :)

    Abdel | Infinitely Posh.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Espero que le vaya bien a Rico. Te mando un beso

    ReplyDelete
  3. Aww wow, you are a talented writer!

    ReplyDelete
  4. We should never pause our life for someone. You can leave doors open but still go on with your life, like Rico decided to do with Mona. Great dialogues and chapter.

    ReplyDelete
  5. It's sad to see the brothers parting, but it's true that they do need their own space. The part about Mona going back to her abusive boyfriend was disturbing; hopefully, there will be a turning point for her later.

    Your comment about the Jason Biggs look-a-like made me smile. It's very true that it's hard to identify people behind their masks! :)

    ReplyDelete

Hi, I love notes. Thanks for dropping by.