Thursday, October 6, 2022

It can be lonely sometimes



 Truth be told Deano wasn't getting any sleep. "Is it supposed to be that way?" He asked Roman who was over with the dinner he and Eddie brought. Yes, he knew he looked a little sad. These days, he wasn't even getting a shower. He was always with Hannah. "Caitlin is sleeping a lot."

"Well, you are married to her. I guess she must trust you a lot," Roman gave him a pat on the back with a smile and took Hannah from him.

"Oh, so that's it." Deano yawned.

"I don't think she's ever trusted anyone but you," Roman said he'd heard this from LaLa a while ago. "You have that kind of effect on her." He cuddled Hannah who quietened down. 

"Now if I only knew what I was doing," Deano was so out of it. "This girl dad stuff is really getting to me." He said he was nervous about changing her and cleaning her and everything else that went along with baby care. "Sure I watched the videos, but I don't know if I'm doing everything right."

"Oh, she would let you know," Roman told him.

"Right, Caitlin hasn't said anything." Deano moved his neck. It sure did hurt.

"No, I mean Hannah."

"Hannah?"

"Yes, I can see she loves you already. She knows who you are," Roman put the infant in the crib. 

Deano supposed he might be right. "I just thought Caitlin's mom would be around to help, you know. But Caitlin doesn't want her here."

"Daughters can be that way," Roman sighed. "It's not a fairytale. Maybe it's more calm this way for Caitlin." Roman told him the story when he was born how he had colic and his grandmother thought he needed whiskey and just about gave it to him, but his mom wouldn't let her. "She says they were never the same since then. Maybe Caitlin thought it might make things worse with her mother here."

Deano nodded at that. 

"Go have some meatloaf while it's still warm," Roman said he'd watch the baby. Deano's stomach grumbled about then. He was hungry.

13 comments:

  1. Sometimes the way you want teach your sons is not the same that your parents or family way. Is comprensible.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Passei para desejar um excelente fim-de-semana!
    Beijinhos,
    Espero por ti em:
    strawberrycandymoreira.blogspot.pt
    http://www.facebook.com/omeurefugioculinario
    https://www.instagram.com/marysolianimoreira

    ReplyDelete
  3. Meatloaf sounds good -christine cmlk79.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. That's sweet. He wants to do a good job so bad! And yeah kids sorta train ya. :) And yeah moms can be complicated! Whiskey for colic ha ha.

    Meatlof sounds delish, ngl.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Querida amiga Ellie !
    Sempre nos deixa uma bela história.
    Um capitulo que gosto de ler!

    Beijinhos e boa noite.

    ReplyDelete
  6. When it comes to baby care nobody knows what they're doing. I know from experience. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Relationships with mum can be difficult at times.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Fatherhood isn't for sissies! But something tells me that Deano will be just fine. I like how Roman's the voice of reason here, saying that Hannah -- not Caitlin, ha ha -- will let him know if he's doing something wrong. It's a shame about the bad blood between Caitlin and her mom -- having grandmom around would surely be helpful. Maybe there's a reconciliation on the horizon . . .

    I enjoyed the library update. You do get some unusual visitors! I guess it's good that this person wasn't in a disguise again, but the self-appointed role of informant does seem strange. Then again, that depends on what they saw. Stay safe . . . and, at the very least, entertained!

    ReplyDelete
  9. This made me tear up. I was so touched by how you portrayed Deano in his role of father.

    ReplyDelete

Hi, I love notes. Thanks for dropping by.