Thursday, May 19, 2022

the welcome wagon



 "Really, I wasn't expecting you here so soon," Mario smiled as he gave Nic a pat on the back.

"Well, you called," his laugh was cheerful. It didn't take long for him to settle into Mario's bare room. There was a desk for his laptop and some empty shelves for his things. 

"You just got in the car, and left, evidently." Mario nodded.

"It was.. yes, like that." Nic was his serious self too. He said his time was up with his old uncle. "He made me feel I was just wasting space. I guess that's what elders do when they don't think you're learning anything new. But the last few months were good."

"And?" Mario looked at him brightly as if Nic needed to tell him more. "There's no need to be a mystery?" He grinned.

Nic held in a laugh and a sigh. "OK, I did meet someone, but... but as things worked out, I got to bring her home. End of story."

"Oh really," Mario couldn't quite believe that.

"It's nothing."

Mario nodded. He handed over the notebook that Megan had given him the day he moved it. It was to help with organizing roommates through the University.

"I can't say how much longer Levi will be around," Mario shrugged. "Maybe he'll stay through the summer. But we have a room open. So, you'll get to be interviewing." His grin was open.

"I see." Nic took the notebook and put in on his desk and then got out his slim laptop as if he was really home now. He put away a few shirts and jeans in the dresser and put his old boots in the closet. He was wearing his faithful Chuck Taylors. 

"How about we get something to eat?" Mario then said.

"Sure." Nic nodded.

"I live just down the hall, you know."

Nic shook his head with a smile. He followed him down the hall. It was as if the welcome party arrived and there were tacos and enchiladas. Nic's favorites.

15 comments:

  1. I think I'll eat with them, since I like tacos and enchiladas. :)
    --
    O diário da Inês | Facebook | Instagram

    ReplyDelete
  2. Uy genial para Nic. Te mando un beso.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Legal compartilhar a companhia um do outro.
    Que tal comermos alguma coisa?
    ****************
    Ane
    De Outro Mundo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Nice to share each other's company.❤️❤️❤️ Thanks!

      Delete
  4. I loved the chapter.
    xo
    https://www.dearlytay.com.br/

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oi, querida amiga, Ellie,
    Que linda história, gostei de ler.
    Obrigada pela partilha.

    Tenha uma boa semana.
    Beijinhos

    ReplyDelete
  6. And so Nic has finally landed! He's easing in slowing, referencing Mona not by name and in the most indirect of ways. Smart! The details about Nic wearing his faithful Chuck Taylors and heading to the taco and enchilada welcome party are cool and really set the scene.

    By the way, I hope you got your AC fixed and that it wasn't too expensive and/or much of a hassle. I don't know what it's like in Kansas, but it's in the 90s here.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hello again! I said Kansas in my comment, but I meant Nebraska. Blame it on a brain fart, I guess. :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. You described each of the friends in a way that I could know them too. I really enjoyed it.

    Me too... I love tacos and enchiladas.

    ReplyDelete

Hi, I love notes. Thanks for dropping by.