Tuesday, June 28, 2022

Just hanging around



 "You can't come over," Bren said over the phone when Liv called.

"What's going on?" Liv wanted to know. Bren then coughed. She winced her throat was more than parched. She could hardly swallow.

"I have COVID."

"What?" Liv sounded frantic. "What..what..were the symptoms?"

"Sore throat," Bren said. "That's how it started. And a fever. I just haven't felt good."

"But what about Mario?" Liv thought he was at work.

"He's OK," Bren went to the electric kettle for more mint tea. "I've been staying in your old room. I try to only stay in that room. I have lots of snacks and tea."

"Are you going to be OK? Can I do anything?" Liv wanted to know.

"Just stay away." Bren was thankful to have the bed. She kept herself busy on the laptop and lots of books to read. Although, she did have a headache, and sometimes, reading was out of the question. "Mario disinfected as much as he could. I hope he doesn't get sick."

She said they'd gotten a couple of COVID tests from the library. He'd taken one, but it was negative while hers wasn't. "I did take the vaccine and a booster, so it's not too bad."

"Just when I was starting to think everything was back to normal."

Bren could hear the panic in Liv's voice.

"Have you talked to your mom lately?" Bren wanted to know.

"No," Liv said. "Why?"

"You should at least call to see if she's OK. Or at least let her know, you are OK."

"I guess you're right," Liv sighed. 

"You know, you miss her. Try not to be so mad. It's not easy for your mom, either." Bren wanted her to remember her mom needed her too. 

"OK, I'll call her," Liv said. "Just to tell her you've got COVID."

Bren smiled, even if it pained her to smile. She clicked off her Android and went to make herself some mint tea.

12 comments:

  1. COVID, always present. Nice chapter! :) I wish you a good week.
    --
    O diário da Inês | Facebook | Instagram

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes. It sounds so good and positive vibes.

    Love: Mariann Yip
    https://www.mariannyc.com/the-beauty-of-florence-italy/

    ReplyDelete
  3. It's curious, because I feel bad today too, I hope there's no covid.😮😮

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have had co-workers who have had it. Especially, if they have traveled. One's husband has it after a business trip to Seattle, but he's been vaccinated, so she said it wasn't too bad. Still scary though.

      Delete
  4. Some people seem to get it bad and others are okay with it.

    ReplyDelete
  5. It's always scary getting that positive results!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Uy que pena que tenga covid. Buen fragmento.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Poor Bren! I hate hearing about anyone getting COVID, real or fictional. Even people who've been vaccinated and catch milder cases. Speaking of which, that's awful that your friend had it -- and that she didn't tell you so you'd join her at the movies! I'm glad you escaped it. Stay safe out there!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Covid still haunts everyone. It's always good to be careful. I loved the chapter.
    Xo
    https://www.dearlytay.com.br/

    ReplyDelete
  9. communicate and in touch are perfect....
    good story

    ReplyDelete

Hi, I love notes. Thanks for dropping by.