Thursday, June 30, 2022

You know it's not the same as it was

 


"Did you find a place to live?" Jade asked as she was helping Tristan unload sod in the gardening center. Each was in their store tank tops and wearing gardening gloves. Of course, she was wearing her trusty bucket hat.

"Looks like it," Tristan remained indifferent knowing it would be just bad luck to be friends with the likes of Jade. After all, she was a shoplifter and probably a lesbian. Tristan would barely give her a wince, but on most days he did have lunch with her in the breakroom, which was usually a sausage stick and Cherry Coke. Sometimes, she would splurge and bring him a Snickers bar. He remembered once she liked Starburst when he was at the convenience store and paid her back. Possibly they were friends, but he didn't count on it.

"What will you do with yourself?" Her grin was playful as she danced like somebody who thought they could dance on Dancing With My Self.

"You know, I'm not living alone, don't you?" He was without emotion as he stood there with a heavy sack, waiting for her to move. But she flicked her hands about in a street strut as if she was not finished yet.

"What's wrong with you?" He wished he hadn't asked because he knew she would tell him. 

"I dunno. It's sunny. Not stormy." She reminded him how she had had to walk to her sister's house in the rain the last few days. After all, she said the little things really did count. Tristan nodded. He guessed she was right. 

"Well, I don't have much to move in." He'd been staying at the shelter all this time. Jade said she hated those places so she was on her best behavior at her sister's.

"I just don't know how long I can live there," she said she didn't like her brother-in-law. 

Tristan wished he could help her out, but not really. Like the counselor had said he just needed to take care of himself right now. 

"Well, you might not like me either," Tristan was even lipped. He wasn't even sure the word LIKE was in his vocabulary anymore. "But I had enough in savings to get a used scooter, so if you need a ride home today-"

"You got a scooter!" Jade was full of laughter as if the day had gotten even better.

11 comments:

  1. Hola!! jajaja me gusto mucho esta parte

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello!! hahaha I really liked this part❤️💙❤️💙Thank you so much!

      Delete
  2. I'm excited to see Jade has found Tristan!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Estamos sempre mudando, não somos as
    mesmas pessoas da semana passada.

    Beijos nas bochechas! (★‿★)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We're not the same people we were last week. Kisses on the cheeks💙❤️💙❤️ Honestly, I'm not familiar with that phrase, but thanks for stopping by.

      Delete
  4. "After all, she was a shoplifter and probably a lesbian." and "Possibly they were friends, but he didn't count on it." These made me laugh. :)

    Dancing w/ Myself makes me think of a Billy Idol song...

    I need a scooter. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I really enjoyed the dynamic between Tristan and Jade. And like Greg, I found this part amusing: "After all, she was a shoplifter and probably a lesbian." Also, "Sometimes, she would splurge and bring him a Snickers bar." Finally, the "Dancing With Myself" reality show reference is gold. These two have had a rough time in the world, what with the shelter, etc. Maybe they could be each other's shelter (like that Taylor Dayne song) . . . Time will tell. Also, I like how Jade's face claim pic is green to match her name. :)

    It's hard to make a JELL-O pie pretty. The red, white, and blue one I made years ago looked nothing like the one in the picture. I'm sure your crowd enjoyed yours, though, along with the cookies, strawberries, and pretzels with chocolate dip. I actually made a JELL-O mold for the first time last night. Everyone was watching the husband unmold it at my parents' BBQ today, kids and all. There were some tense moments, and I was relieved that they could enjoy their "sea monster" (it was in the shape of an octopus) after all. Maybe the Fourth isn't as stress-free as I originally thought!

    ReplyDelete

Hi, I love notes. Thanks for dropping by.