Monday, April 5, 2021

How to make dysfunctional love last forever



 "Are you sure, you're all right?" Deano was there for Caitlin when she got home. There was a warm one-pot meal waiting for her and French bread. 

He went to get the pasta meal ready. 

Caitlin looked at him with her frown so tight, but she put her stuff away and got into her sweatpants and tank top. He guessed she was ready to eat.

"Wine or milk?" He asked.

"Milk," she said she knew the wine would keep her awake later. He had milk too.

"So, how was it?" He wanted to know. Usually, she had so much to say, he never got in a word.

"I guess OK," but she said she thought she'd rather be helping strangers on the street. It would be so much quicker than all the horrible files that needed the blanks filled and so on.

"You don't have to go into social services," he told her as he watched her bite into the buttered toasty bread and slurp up the pasta and mushrooms.

She nodded, and took in more mouthfuls as if she were famished.

Deano stressed, wondering if he should have made her a major meal of some kind for her lunch. He didn't know if he was good at any of this kind of thing.

"I loved the sandwich you made me," she told him. "You made my day with those Cheetos." She asked how he could remember all her favorite foods.

"Oh, you'd keep a list, if I didn't," he cracked a smile and finally reached for his milk. 

She ate the entire plate of pasta and chow downed on the salad before finishing her glass of milk. "There was this kid," she then said. "He made me think..."

"Of me?" He smiled.

"No. Me." 

Caitlin looked Deano in the eye. "I don't know what you saw in me, but I'm glad it was something," She sounded so melancholy. "I hope you don't hate me, some day."

"Why would you say something like that?" Dean winced thinking they were good for each other, weren't they?

"I don't know. I know I'm trouble. I know you think I might be a little crazy," Caitlin shrugged.

"When did I say that," Deano's eyes lit. True, she said a lot of things and he might have a memory like an elephant.

She smiled at him then and took his hand. "I think we should get married."

"Huh?" Deano felt his heart in full throttle. "Really?"

She nodded. Deano did his best to keep smiling. If he thought about it long enough, he knew he'd scare himself shitless.

14 comments:

  1. I love that Deano cooks for her. That's true love! It's nice she appreciates it too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, wow. I so wanted Caitlin and Deano to make it, but this proposal seems kind of sudden, especially because Caitlin was on the fence about the relationship as recently as earlier that day! What's more, Deano's reaction doesn't bode well. An ill-timed proposal is hard to come back from, but I really hope that these two can work it out. Then, again, your title, "How to make dysfunctional love last forever" cheekily suggests that they'd be better off apart. Kudos for making me care and feel as conflicted as the characters!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Nossa, um pedido de casamento assim de repente?
    Mas isso de cozinhar e comer juntos dar intimidade entre duas pessoas.😘🌼

    ReplyDelete
  4. Deano es tan lindo. Lindo fragmento. Te mando un beso

    ReplyDelete
  5. Czy to było coś w rodzaju spontanicznych oświadczyn ?

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hola!! lindo fragmento, vuelvo por aquí después de tanto tiempo desaparecida.

    ReplyDelete
  7. She is going to say yes for sure… hopefully🤔😄

    ReplyDelete

Hi, I love notes. Thanks for dropping by.