Sunday, April 25, 2021

It was always you



 Kyle felt better being home alone. Unfortunately, Hope was there watching TV in the livingroom. He opened the fridge and peeked in. Then closed it. He knew he was going to pace. He didn't want to. 

Roman could be so aggravating. Why? Why had he invited him over?

"What's wrong?" Hope asked as she turned down the TV.

"Oh, it's nothing." He shook his head, no. He looked down at his bare feet. He was in his silky-like dragon shorts that could have been underwear but he was wearing undies underneath and a gray tank. Damn, if it wasn't getting hot again. Possibly, humid too.

"It has to be something," she said. He never remembered her ever saying this much to him, but then Megan nor Cori was here.

He sighed and nursed his bottom lip.

"Oh, come on. Just say it." Hope silenced the TV and made a spot for him on the couch.

"Well, it's kind of a long story." He shrugged.

"I love long stories. I'm here all night and even tomorrow," Hope kind of smiled. OK, it was a real smile. Maybe he should talk to someone about Roman.

"I have this friend, who might like me.." He looked at her, but found it was easier to talk while waving his hands as if he might possibly be Italian. "He tried to do something to me." He raced his words together and waited for her sign to tell him to shut up, but she didn't. "He was drunk."

Hope nodded.

"I know he apologized. And..and he is trying to make up..I guess," Kyle made a worried face. "He invited me to dinner. He's making ribs. He even wants me to meet..this girl..but I don't want to be set up..especially, by him."

"Oh."

"I'm not going." He looked away and wished he'd gotten a bottle of water. He might starve tonight.

"But, he made all this food..just for you," Hope shrugged. He could see her slight smirk.

"Well, what am I supposed to do?"

"Oh, I dunno." Her eyes were so big as she filled up with a smile. "Take me, and tell him I'm your pregnant girlfriend."

"Huh?"

She cracked up laughing and practically hit him in the gut with the remote.

"I'm not sure I'm that good of an actor," He shook his head, no. "I mean, he knows I'm not seeing anyone."

"Maybe, I just showed up and told you the news and you're stuck with me."

"I see." He nodded, thinking it might make sense. Then squinted. "How did we meet?"

"Let's see," She looked up as if she was waiting for a light bulb thought to come on. "I was your first love, and we had a one-nighter during a class reunion get-together. Luckily, we didn't get COVID because we didn't stay for the dance."

"That's crazy," he told her. "We never have class reunions back home. Plus, it would have been during lockdown."

"Oh, lockdown." She nodded as if she'd completely forgot about such a thing. "I just had to have you in the Men's restroom at a truckstop. I was in transit."

"Stop," he winced hard. "You're not that kind of person."

She was straight lipped and he knew he'd hurt her feelings.

"I like the first story," he looked away and nodded. It was something he could work with. "I'll just say we saw each other a few months back."

She nodded. He smiled at her and told her he had been vaccinated. "I only needed one shot because I've already had COVID."

Hope nodded. "Maybe we should practice."

"Practice?"

"You know, being together."

Kyle gritted a grin. It had been so long since he'd done improv. Funny, he could hardly wait.

16 comments:

  1. should they "practice"....?

    interesting

    ReplyDelete
  2. What an interesting question! Practice?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Praticar estar juntos parece muito bom pra esses dois.
    💞💞💞

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. practicing being together sounds pretty good for these two

      Delete
    2. Czasami to po prost wychodzi bez ćwiczeń, zanim się zorientują,

      Delete
    3. Sometimes it just goes out without exercise before they know it,

      Delete
  4. A ver como les va a estos dos. Son muy dulces . Te mando un beso

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love the story, but also the images that you publish! :)
    --
    O diário da Inês | Facebook | Instagram

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much. Thanks for making my Monday!

      Delete
  6. Wow I am really enjoying this. I love how the story line leaves you guessing in every chapter. 😀

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm so glad that Hope's supporting Kyle by offering to pose as his girlfriend. He really needs someone in his corner. I especially like how she introduces levity: "I just had to have you in the Men's restroom at a truckstop. I was in transit." Your dialogue is always so spot-on and natural. It makes each and every character seem real.

    ReplyDelete

Hi, I love notes. Thanks for dropping by.