Sunday, August 7, 2022

Don't think the worst

 


"You know, your mom cares about you," Bren didn't know what else to say to help soothe Liv's pain with her problem brother. They were working at the front of their stations to clear out any outdated candy. It was a lull at the moment. To Bren, it seemed nobody wanted gum anymore. She tossed another in the bucket that would be a freebie in the breakroom.

"I dunno, I feel..I feel as if -" Liv shook her head as if she didn't want to finish that sentence.

"You know, your mom hasn't had the easiest life," Bren reminded her. "She grew up on a ranch and was no more than a ranch hand's daughter. She never got a chance to go to college, and I know she only married your dad so she wouldn't still be there." It was the honest truth.

"How do you know?" Liv winced as if Bren knew things about her mom that she didn't.

"Your mom and my mom were more than just lunch ladies, you know," Bren tilted her head a little sad. Yes, her mother liked to think of their cafeteria days were like the Laverne and Shirley show, but most of the time they went to work sick and tired and never got acknowledged for anything worthy. "My mom talked about your mom a lot. She thought a lot of her."

Of course, Liv was straight-lipped then. It was as if Bren wasn't on her side in this like she should be.

"Yes, Tristan is the worst brother ever," Bren said. "I don't know if I could handle him, either..if..if I were your mom. And we know your Dad isn't going to do anything."

Bren shook her head. Didn't Liv remember it was her mother's idea for Liv to live with Bren in the first place?

"Your mom knew I needed you just as much as you needed me," Bren didn't care what Liv thought. They would always be sisters. After all, their mothers were best friends. And they had been there for each other when no one else was. 

"Right," Liv sighed but she was awful quiet. 

"Has Tristan tried to call you?" Bren looked at more expiration dates on candy and chunked a couple.

 She shook her head. Where was the candy rush these days? Definitely not with PAYDAY candy bars. She winced thinking she wouldn't eat one of those, but she might if they were free.

"I haven't heard from him," Liv said as she dug out a little Simpson toy from her shelf of candy. 

"Well, I would avoid him," Bren said. "Let him make the first move." Bren did her best to smile. She would be hopeful. Maybe Tristan and Liv wouldn't stay enemies forever.

10 comments:

  1. Hopefully they wont be enemies forever

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hopefully, Liv and Tristan can get through these times.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love the little cosmetic in the lower left... :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ojala pueda hacer que se vuelvan amigos. Te mando un beso.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I loved the chapter. There's always a chance to form a friendship
    xo
    https://www.dearlytay.com.br/

    ReplyDelete
  6. I loved the chapter. There's always a chance to form a friendship
    xo
    https://www.dearlytay.com.br/

    ReplyDelete
  7. I have to say, Bren's advice isn't wrong. I hope Liv listens to it.

    xx

    ReplyDelete
  8. I enjoyed learning about Bren's and Liv's moms' history: "Yes, her mother liked to think of their cafeteria days were like the Laverne and Shirley show, but most of the time they went to work sick and tired and never got acknowledged for anything worthy." So sad, yet those hardships certainly strengthened their bond -- and Liv and Bren's. I know it's hard for Liv to hear, but Bren's tough love speech about not shutting out her mom comes from a good place. Liv will see that but needs time. When it comes to describing -- and untangling! -- messy emotions, you're the master.

    ReplyDelete

Hi, I love notes. Thanks for dropping by.