Friday, June 9, 2023

Don't leave me



 Nic thought he might pass out. Were they sure about this? He'd been accepted, not excepted. He sighed. He didn't think he even had a slight chance of going to Seoul. Well, yes, his passport was up to date. He had all his shots.

"Tomorrow!" Did he shout that out loud? He thought he might have a heart-attack of excitement. He found himself practically laughing. Naturally, he said YES to everything they were offering. A place to live where he would be working in the center of the epic business district. It just felt like winning the lottery. Of course, Mona was hugging him, looking up at him like a lost puppy. Soon the reality hit him that he wasn't going to be here for her. She didn't even have a passport.

It was madness when he got off the phone. He didn't know how to say it without it hurting her feelings.

"I.. I have to do this," he told her.

"What?" was she even listening to him about this lifetime opportunity?

"It's for the best," He knew he couldn't smile because she wasn't. "You'll be busy. You'll go to summer school. You'll.. you'll be fine."

"YOU'RE LEAVING ME!" Her voice was a painful cry and it did make his chest hurt.

He nodded. Yes, it was better this way. Just to go. Break it off like snapping off a bandaid.

"I have to." He unwound her fingers around him. It was like someone was looking out for him after all. "I think we.. we should break up."

"Breakup?" She snarled back as if this wasn't fair. "You get one phone call and.. and you want to break up?" She was livid.

"I'm leaving tomorrow. Just.. Just let me do this," he sighed. "I need this." But he knew she couldn't be happy for him. But time was wasting. He needed to pack and get ready for this trip.

6 comments:

  1. Oh my. Poor Mona. So sudden. Happy for Nic but this is tough. Seoul though! Can I go?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Uy pobre Mona. Genial fragmento te mando un beso.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ah, the reason for that phone call! I have to say, I think it's for the best. Nic gets to embark on an adventure, and Mona is being nudged to move on.

    Love the yellow bag! πŸ’›πŸ’›πŸ’›

    ReplyDelete

Hi, I love notes. Thanks for dropping by.