"Long time, no see," Bren grinned. What else could she say? Obviously, she'd fallen off the face of the earth after having a baby. She wished she'd been here more for her sister-in-law and her new baby, but life went on.
Her dad had his own place now, thanks to Bren. That had been more than a minute to help him find a life on his own. Her husband (Sammy's brother) Mario was working a hot summer with the local university baseball team. And she still had at least a dozen clients she cooked meals for. Obviously, she had time for nothing else.
"I wanted to see you sooner, but you know," She shrugged, knowing Sammy would rather see her brother than her.
"I know, it's OK," Sammy said. She was glad she was keeping busy. Still, Bren felt the need to be apologetic.
"Are you sure?" Bren felt she needed to catch up about a lot of things. She loved this family. Guilt always got the best of her.
Sammy only laughed at her. "You know, you are the best." Sammy gave her a hug, reminding her that if it weren't for her, no telling where she might be.
"You know, Mario loves you," Bren told her. "It's just..."
"He has no idea how to really be a big brother, but you know, I love my brother, no matter what. I hope he's being good to you," Sammy replied.
"Of course, he is."
With that, Sammy made sure she was welcomed, and they had tea along with some dry chocolate chip cookies.
"So how are you, really?" Bren wanted to know.
"I'm good," Sammy nodded. "I feel a little guilty being at home, but I would feel more guilty if I wasn't." She said she liked being at home with the baby. And she could make home-cooked meals.
Bren wouldn't dare ask if she was doing anything else. She was proud of Mario's sister. She was happy to be her sister-in-law.
"I'm glad we're both healthy." She took Sammy's hand. She knew the troubles of so many that it was too sad to talk about. Bren kept smiling. Truly, it was the simple things that kept life beautiful.

Couldn't agree with you more about the simple things that kept life beautiful.
ReplyDeleteYes, being healthy is something we should never take for granted.
ReplyDeleteGood
ReplyDeleteThanks for the chapter, greetings
ReplyDeleteWow! Nice job! XOX
ReplyDelete