Thursday, August 20, 2026

Some of the most wonderful people are the ones who don’t fit into boxes.


It was a surprise to see Deano. Actually, Lewis didn't know his cousin knew where he even lived. It had been that long. Their mothers were identical twins. Somehow, they looked more like brothers than cousins. Still, Deano was the middle grandchild and Lewis would always be the baby.

That was back when Lewis' first visit to his grandparents was when he broke his grandfather's favorite lamp. Lewis didn't remember it because he was only two. To this day, he is known as the grandson who broke his grandfather's favorite lamp.

But as families get older and loved ones aren't around anymore, he'd distanced himself, and so had Deano. Actually, he just remembered playing Mario Brothers with Deano. Lewis knew he wasn't the family favorite, and well, it didn't really matter, anyway.

"Why didn't you tell me what was going on with you?" Deano said he'd heard from an Aunt about his troubles.

"It's not that bad," Lewis shrugged about the Halloween incident that was almost over. "I just have five more AA meetings to go to."

"But, you could have let me help?" Deano was concerned. 

Lewis went to get him a soda, and they sat in his little studio with the TV turned down low. 

"But you gotta family," Lewis remembered. "No twins, right?"

"Not yet."

Lewis sighed in relief. He often wondered if he'd have twins. It looked like that wouldn't be the case.

"I feel like I'm in the quiet divorce these days." 

Lewis never remembered Deano being this solemn. They both seemed to have the same kind of goofness about them that was noted by his grandmother that they should have been brothers.

"God, how did that happen?" Lewis squinted, as if he hoped it wasn't contagious.

"I dunno." Deano did look very sad. "I still love Caitlin. I love the kids. I love my family, but I don't think she's happy. She just...so aloof."

Lewis nodded. People were hard to figure out. He didn't have the best track record with relationships either. His first girlfriend was his best friend's girlfriend's best friend. Maybe it was like a college commune back then. They all roomed together in a two-bedroom place. It just happened. He just remembered his hair was longer then, and they all kept saying he was clogging the bathroom sink with his hair when, in fact, his girlfriend had the long black hair. Funny, how that was his memory of Greta. 

He sucked in a breath, thinking of her anger issues. In the end, he was glad she went back to her Dad's in Georgia.

"Maybe..it''ll work itself out," Lewis assured him he'd met someone he really loved. "Monica's been there for all those times I needed her, taking me to get my driver's license again, and again. Heck, she even let me drive her car to take the driver's test." He didn't pass it on his first try when he needed to reinstate his license. "Actually, I love doing nothing with her, but anything is fine. She's just beautiful and kind, and she's really good to me, and I want to be there for her too."

Lewis hoped this with Monica kept going. He loved how happy she was. He truly felt happy

"I can't seem to do anything right," Deano told him how he'd gotten tickets to the Tori Amos concert and how his wife never remembered liking the artist. "Needless to say, I was wasting her time."

"Sorry, I really am. I would have loved to have gone to that concert," Lewis said, wanting to finish the sentence. "With Monica."



 

1 comment:

  1. Life is complicated and can be challenging sometimes, so it's good to have friends who care.

    ReplyDelete

Hi, I love notes. Thanks for dropping by.