Monday, September 26, 2022

Oh baby, I don't know what to do with myself

 


"Arizona?" The way she said his name put him off. It was like he might be a disease or something.

"Just call me, Ari," he said to Jade who was alone now after class. Just the way he wanted it. Some time when he didn't have lil sis being nosy. God, he hoped she didn't show up.

"I didn't know you-" Jade started, but stopped. She looked as if she'd been warned. Yes, he was certain she thought he was poison, and for some reason that made him smile.

"Oh, I didn't know you'd be here either," he shrugged back as he walked with her. It was all casual. "So how are your classes?"

"They're fine," she nodded. She kept looking ahead. She wouldn't look at him. 

"Are you studying, all the time?"

"Not all the time." She was calm. Very calm. He liked that about her.

"Let's get something to eat," his smile was open and he turned to her ever so inviting.

"Why?" She almost stomped his foot.

"Oh, I dunno..you live with..you know who..I just want to know you, you know." He kept smiling.

"I don't think it's a good idea," Jade then said as she pushed her crossbag back in place on the shoulder of her fall jacket.

"Well.. whoever told you that, is wrong," he told her. "I just want to talk."

"OK." she nodded as if she got what he meant. She pressed her lips. "What do you have in mind?"

"Let's go in here," he pointed to the milktea shop. There were noodles too. "It's new. Have you gone in here." She shook her head, no.

"Well, let's see what they have," Ari winced knowing he was smiling too much. He was certain she would never take him seriously.

A little bit later, they sat in the back booth with their bobble tea while waiting for noodles. He asked her twenty questions, it seemed. About where she went to school. What she liked and where did she want to end up.

"What about you?" She then asked.

"I have no answers for that," Ari chuckled. "I might want to go to Arizona," he laughed. "I mean, that's where my mom had me. That's all I know. Really." He didn't know his dad. "God, I don't mean to be such a sad story." But even when he said it, it might have been a lie. 

"The thing is, I know I owe my sister so much. I don't think I can ever repay her." It was back to that. It always came back to that. He felt like a dog on a chain that could never get that far from home. He knew he wanted to, but it hadn't worked out all that well. His sister was still having to give him money.

"Do you have a job?" Jade asked.

"Well.."

"Have you been looking for one?" She was straight-lipped. It was as if she already knew what he needed. And it wasn't her.

12 comments:

  1. Ellie
    Que bela história e a verdade é que nunca devemos depender de outras pessoas.
    O trabalho é essencial a todas as pessoas.

    Tenha boa semana.
    Beijinhos

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ellie
      , that beautiful story and the truth is, we should never depend on other people.
      Work is essential to all people.>>>>>Thanks for your comment!

      Delete
  2. The job search is complicated, I hope everything will be resolved.
    Xo
    https://www.dearlytay.com.br/

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ohhhh looking for a job is so dificult, I understand this
    Thanks for your amazing chapter, like always
    Kisses ♥

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hmm interesting. I think I remember Jade from previous installments but not him? Sounds like she's keeping him at arms length a little bit.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Uy yo creo que él si la necesita. Te mando un beso y genial fragmento.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hola!! un momento incomodo y que se llame Arizona es curioso

    ReplyDelete
  7. Very interesting, Ari and Jade getting to know one another over noodles. Even if there are shadows. I love this line: "Yes, he was certain she thought he was poison, and for some reason that made him smile." Also, Jade's hard-nosed view that Ari doesn't need her, but a job. Very Jade!

    Thanks so much for including not only my floral fabric but also my cherry pie barrette! You're the absolute best! 🥧

    ReplyDelete

Hi, I love notes. Thanks for dropping by.