Saturday, September 24, 2022

Old Ways Won't Open New Doors

 


Eddie thought something was different about Cyrus, but he wasn't sure what. Cyrus was very organized about their pub quiz. Of course, Roman was going along as if to humor them both. 

"Where's Pixie?" Eddie finally said. 

"She's busy." Cyrus didn't say another word about her. He went over all the questions they'd ever studied in his trusty notebook. It was like he was trying to get them in the mood to answer the questions quickly. Damn, if that boy didn't keep track of all the questions asked at the pub quiz too. 

"Well, she should be here," Eddie said. "We need her." It was just the three of them and Roman already looked as if he were half asleep as he nursed on a BLUE MOON. 

"It's all good." He shrugged. "We have some of her friends coming."

"Like who?" Eddie winced. Before he knew it, two more guys arrived. Cyrus introduced them. It was Derrick and Eric. 

"I just turned twenty-one," Eric grinned as if he could hardly wait to order that White Russian. Derrick only laughed at him and ordered a lite beer. 

"I'm only here to make sure he doesn't make a fool of himself." Derrick nodded.

To Eddie's surprise, Cyrus ordered a glass of red wine.

"Are you sure about this?" Eddie asked as he looked at Roman who didn't say a thing.

Eddie sighed wondering what had gotten in to Cyrus. "You never drink."

"Well, maybe I should." Cyrus sounded as if it might give him the insight he was looking for.

"Don't be dumb," Eddie told him. "We need that brain of yours."

"I'll be fine." Cyrus looked at him.

"I don't think so," Eddie scooted him up to the bar so they could talk. "What's going on?"

"I don't know what you mean?" It was as if he'd learned the script already. It was like talking to Pixie. It was as if he had that certain mystery.

"Oh my god." Eddie glared at Cyrus.

"What?" He was so straight-lipped. It was as if he was becoming Pixie.

"You two had sex."

Cyrus looked away.  Eddie crossed his arms. He knew Cyrus would never say. He would have to talk to Pixie about this.

11 comments:

  1. Nothing gets by Eddie! I like that he and the other guys are concerned about Cyrus instead of egging him on to drink. Also, the rhyming Eric and Derrick names are funny! I hope this ends up being a boys' night out that helps Cyrus on his journey with Pixie.

    I love the smiley face shirt in the collage! 😀

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hola! esta muy interesante, tengo ganas de leer el proximo capitulo. Besos

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lovely post! I feel identified with Cyrus. I do not drink alcohol, but sometimes I order a cup of a good wine, especially if I am eating at a restaurant
    By th way, I have just discovered your blog but now I am a follower ;)
    Kisses from https://sophisticatedmeblog.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  4. I could use a Blue Moon. and ooh pub quiz. I had a friend who did those a lot.

    ReplyDelete

Hi, I love notes. Thanks for dropping by.