Wednesday, October 2, 2024

And I don't know what else to do



 "What is it?" Sammie wouldn't look Rico in the eye when she let him. She was home alone. Actually, Rico had expected to see Gabe.

"I should have called, or texted, you know," he was solemn about all this Mona matter. It was starting to get to him. He didn't mean to second guess himself. He didn't want to be the bad guy either. Why was it everyone was against them?

"Well, he went to do something with his brother," Sammie said it had something to do with Wade and Pan's upcoming wedding.

"Oh." Rico nodded. 

He followed her into the kitchen where she turned on the electric kettle.

"Are you mad at me?" He wanted to know.

"Should I be?" She looked back at him, just as solemn. A part of him felt she was more of a sister than his older sister Caitlin would ever be. It was a shame that the only connection they had was Mario who was her brother, too.

"Well, you know, I wasn't going to ... you know Vada. I didn't want to be another one of her makeovers."

Rico made a face of disgust.

"Makeover?" Now Sammie laughed. She went to get the cups to make tea.

"Well, you know what she had in mind." 

Rico took a seat.

"I guess. I knew you two weren't right from the beginning, but now, you..you're mixed up with Mona." She didn't look at him when she said it as she was pouring the hot water over the Lemon Lift teabag.

"Gabe told you?" Rico practically snapped.

"Don't get so mad, he can't lie about anything," she brought over his tea and found some Little Debbie Oatmeal Pies. He couldn't help but tear one open and eat it whole.

"What do you think?" Rico was serious as if he were waiting to get his fortune told. 

"It doesn't matter, " Sammie said resting her chin on her fist. "If it's what you want."

"I know it is," Rico squinted. "It's just I dunno, she'll back out, or something. I want to be there for her, but..but what if she says no."

"How do you know she will say NO?"

"That's pretty much Mona," Rico knew. "She says NO to everything."

"Well, she said yes, to that night you spent together," Sammie shrugged and took an oatmeal pie too. Of course, Rico had to rip it open for her.

"It's just, I want the real deal. I hate being left hanging like this. I just think she'll forget about me, or I dunno." 

Rico was in a pout as he watched the teabag dance about like a puppet.

"Or she'll be the one in control and there will be no middle ground."

"Yeah, you said it."

"Maybe, she's ready for a change," she said. "Maybe she's figured out whatever she's doing isn't working."

Rico couldn't help but smile. Only, he couldn't see Mona thinking that way.

1 comment:

Hi, I love notes. Thanks for dropping by.